Down Into Darkness

The winding staircase went spiraling down into the foreboding darkness. The stairs ended at a short tunnel, which lead to a massive cavern. In the center of the was an expansive lake. Thousands of candles lined the walls, their light flickering off the water. A rowboat was hitched to a wooden post in the ground at the edge of the underground lake. Over half a mile of water, on a hill, sits a once shining throne. Years underground have dulled the glint. A few steps away from the throne is a massive organ. Hundreds of silver pipes extruded from the base,  so huge they could swallow a man whole.

A mysterious figure emerges from the darkness behind the organ. This cave is his. The cave is a prison he built for himself. He never has left the darkness of this abyss.

Inline image 3

Photo Credit: Morguefile

7 thoughts on “Down Into Darkness

1. That’s a great narrative about Down into Darkness. The title really drew a picture in my head. I also love that it showed instead of telling. It really brought a picture to my mind.

Keep up the great blogging.Well Done

2. Wow that title really hooked me in to the story! I liked the bit when you said The foreboding darkness!! the story was awesome as well!! Well Done!!

3. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome story I seeing show not tell because I don’t know really how to do it.

4. I love the ending sentence “He never has left the darkness of this abyss”. The whole last paragraph shows that he will never see the light again, and he is okay with it. It shows pain and hatred for the world above. “…the prison he built for himself” was a really strong sentence. I gives me a thought to linger on: Why would he build a prison for himself? Good work.

5. I like your first paragraph a lot, because it is filled with vivid imagery. I can really visualize the cavern. I also like the simile of the pipes being able to eat a man whole. The simile allows me to picture the size of the pipes. Without it I would have imagined very thin, but tall pipes. Good job!